20
Friday
July 2018
2:52 AM IST
News Headlines
Home   | Main News   | Kerala  | National   | International  | Business   | Sports   | Entertainment   | Columns   | Offbeat   | About Deepika 
International News
Thousands flee in first mass exodus from Syria's besieged eastern Ghouta
 
(EASTERN GHOUTA, Mar 15, 2018):Thousands of Syrian civilians fled from a rebel pocket in eastern Ghouta on Thursday, crossing by foot to army positions in the first mass exodus from the besieged enclave since Syrian government forces launched an assault to capture it a month ago.

Men, women and children staggered under the weight of blankets, bags and suitcases as they walked along a dirt road to army lines on the outskirts of Hammouriyeh town. Some wept.

One man carried a baby in a suitcase, the child’s head and arms peaking out through the zipper. Others reached government positions in the nearby town of Beit Sawa on wheelchairs.

“We had been trapped in the basements and did not dare come out, in the cellars and tunnels,” a man who left the rebel pocket to government territory told Reuters on the outskirts of Hammouriyeh. “We could not do anything.... There was no food.”

“There was no water, no electricity, no education for the children,” said another man from Hammouriyeh, Amer al-Shourbaji.

Another man, who gave his name as Abu al-Nour, told Reuters he had been in contact with people in army territory for days trying to arrange safe passage out.

“For eight days, we have coordinated with the soldiers, telling them we want to get the civilians out,” he said.

The exodus could prove a key moment in eastern Ghouta, one of the seven-year-old war’s biggest battles, in which the fate of civilians trapped in the siege zone has been central.

The United Nations has estimated 400,000 people had been under siege in eastern Ghouta, the last large rebel bastion near the capital Damascus, with little access to food or medicine.

The government and its Russian allies have been pounding the area with air strikes since mid-February and launched a ground assault that has seized much of the territory since last week, cutting towns off from each other.

Fighting has raged on there despite a U.N. Security Council demand for a ceasefire. Moscow and Damascus argue the enemies they target are members of terrorist groups unprotected by the truce. They say rebels are preventing civilians from escaping.

The rebels deny this and say most residents are now fleeing because of the government’s bombs falling on Ghouta.

The UK-based Syrian Observatory for Human Rights, which monitors the conflict, said at least 12,500 people left toward government territory. They came out of Hammouriyeh and Jisreen, which the army advanced into on Thursday, and other towns nearby.

“Every hour, over 800 people are leaving,” Russia’s RIA news agency cited Major General Vladimir Zolotukhin as saying.

Moscow has offered safe passage out to rebel fighters willing to surrender the territory, a tactic that has helped Damascus and its allies regain control over major cities in western Syria. The opposition says that amounts to forced displacement.


'Not too late to save Brexit': ex-foreign secretary Johnson
Canada: Trudeau set to reshuffle govt ahead of 2019 election
Official: 54 released from Taliban prison in Afghanistan
Putin: US-Russia ties should not be held hostage to Mueller probe
Russia targeted by almost '25 million cyber-attacks' during World Cup: Putin
Afghan official: Taliban kill 7 police in eastern province
Trump and Putin open historic summit
Trump asked me to sue EU over Brexit, says Theresa May
Haiti prime minister resigns after deadly unrest
Former PM Nawaz Sharif, daughter Maryam arrested for corruption in Lahore
After UK-US spats, Trump flies in to turmoil in Britain
Buddha of Swat smiles nearly 11 years after Taliban dynamited it
Turkey jails mine bosses over 2014 disaster that killed 301
Merkel fires back at Trump: Germany makes 'independent decisions'
Panama, China open talks on free trade agreement
Trump names Kavanaugh as nominee for next supreme court justice
Turkey's Erdogan begins new term with expanded powers
Sharif, his daughter will be arrested on their arrival at any airport in Pak: Minister
N Korea slams 'gangster-like' US in nuclear talks
'Race against time' to rescue Japan flood victims: PM
ENTERTAINMENT NEWS
I am a big flop actor: Karan Johar
 (Mumbai, May 5, 2018): Filmmaker Karan Johar is in mood to take up full-fledged acting jobs.  
Bittersweet moment for us: Akshaye on Vinod Khanna's Dadasaheb Phalke honour
Happy Sonam is getting married, Anand a great guy: Harshvardhan Kapoor
Auctioning 'Rustom' costume for good cause: Akshay Kumar
KERALA NEWS
Kerala among 13 states on thunderstorm alert
 (New Delhi, May 7, 2018): Thunderstorms accompanied by squall, hail and heavy rains are likel
Kerala Karshaka Jadha Opens to a Great Beginning / Video
Malappuram press club attack: RSS workers nabbed
Workers injured in mudslide at construction site
NATIONAL NEWS
Woman alleges rape by Delhi-based singer
 New Delhi, July 18 (PTI) A woman has accused a Delhi-based Punjabi singer of raping her, the police
Opposition parties commit to fight against any amendment in RTI Act
Tharoor blames right-wing activists for attacks, demands PM intervention
Two dead, 3,500 relocated as rains lash parts of Gujarat
Untitled Page
Rashtra Deepika LTD
Copyright @ 2017 , Rashtra Deepika Ltd.