19
Thursday
July 2018
9:41 AM IST
News Headlines
Home   | Main News   | Kerala  | National   | International  | Business   | Sports   | Entertainment   | Columns   | Offbeat   | About Deepika 
International News
S Korea, US confirm suspending military drills
 
Seoul, Jun 19 (AFP) South Korean and US officials confirmed today the suspension of scheduled joint military drills, making good on a pledge by President Donald Trump during his summit with North Korea's leader.

Seoul, which has tens of thousands of US troops on its soil to help protect it from its hostile northern neighbour, said the suspension would affect the large-scale Ulchi Freedom Guardian exercises slated for August.

"South Korea and the US plan to continue discussions for further measures," the South's defence ministry said in a statement, adding that "no decisions have been reached for other ensuing drills." Some 17,500 US military personnel were due to take part in the Freedom Guardian drills.

"We are still coordinating additional actions. No decisions on subsequent war games have been made," Pentagon spokeswoman Dana White said in confirming the suspension.

"There is no impact on Pacific exercises outside of the Korean Peninsula." White said US Defence Secretary Jim Mattis, Secretary of State Mike Pompeo and National Security Advisor John Bolton would meet later this week at the Pentagon to discuss the issue.

Last week, Trump made the surprise announcement that the US would halt "war games" with its South Korean security ally -- without making clear when the freeze would begin.

The US leader raised eyebrows by describing the exercises as "provocative" -- a term used by the North.

US and South Korean forces have been training together for years, and routinely rehearse everything from beach landings to an invasion from the North, or even "decapitation" strikes targeting the North Korean regime.

Pyongyang typically reacts furiously. Following drills last year, the North fired ballistic missiles over Japan, triggering global alarm.

Trump's decision raised concern in Japan, which hosts tens of thousands of US troops and has eyed the diplomatic outreach to Pyongyang with deep suspicion.

But officials were sanguine on the announcement today, with Defence Minister Itsunori Onodera saying Trump's move would not affect US-Japan exercises.

"In talks with Secretary Mattis, we confirmed that we will implement drills between Japan and the US," he told reporters.

Foreign Minister Taro Kono added that Tokyo understood the drills were being halted as a way to press Pyongyang to negotiate in good faith.

"I understand that if North Korea stops negotiating with good will, the joint drills will resume," he said.

Choi Hyun-soo, a South Korea defence ministry spokeswoman, added: "We are expecting a corresponding measure from North Korea in response to the suspension of the joint drills." At their landmark Singapore summit, Trump and North Korea's Kim Jong Un signed a joint statement in which Pyongyang committed to "work toward complete denuclearisation of the Korean Peninsula." But critics have pointed to the vague wording of the non-binding document and raised fears that the summit could weaken the international coalition against the North's nuclear programme.

Pompeo, who has stressed that sanctions will remain in place until North Korea's complete denuclearisation, said he plans to meet Kim for follow-up talks.

South Korea said sanctions against the North could be eased once it takes "substantive steps towards denuclearisation," seemingly setting the bar lower than Washington for such a move.

But Pompeo's office said both allies remain "committed to the goal of complete, verifiable and irreversible denuclearisation.


'Not too late to save Brexit': ex-foreign secretary Johnson
Canada: Trudeau set to reshuffle govt ahead of 2019 election
Official: 54 released from Taliban prison in Afghanistan
Putin: US-Russia ties should not be held hostage to Mueller probe
Russia targeted by almost '25 million cyber-attacks' during World Cup: Putin
Afghan official: Taliban kill 7 police in eastern province
Trump and Putin open historic summit
Trump asked me to sue EU over Brexit, says Theresa May
Haiti prime minister resigns after deadly unrest
Former PM Nawaz Sharif, daughter Maryam arrested for corruption in Lahore
After UK-US spats, Trump flies in to turmoil in Britain
Buddha of Swat smiles nearly 11 years after Taliban dynamited it
Turkey jails mine bosses over 2014 disaster that killed 301
Merkel fires back at Trump: Germany makes 'independent decisions'
Panama, China open talks on free trade agreement
Trump names Kavanaugh as nominee for next supreme court justice
Turkey's Erdogan begins new term with expanded powers
Sharif, his daughter will be arrested on their arrival at any airport in Pak: Minister
N Korea slams 'gangster-like' US in nuclear talks
'Race against time' to rescue Japan flood victims: PM
ENTERTAINMENT NEWS
I am a big flop actor: Karan Johar
 (Mumbai, May 5, 2018): Filmmaker Karan Johar is in mood to take up full-fledged acting jobs.  
Bittersweet moment for us: Akshaye on Vinod Khanna's Dadasaheb Phalke honour
Happy Sonam is getting married, Anand a great guy: Harshvardhan Kapoor
Auctioning 'Rustom' costume for good cause: Akshay Kumar
KERALA NEWS
Kerala among 13 states on thunderstorm alert
 (New Delhi, May 7, 2018): Thunderstorms accompanied by squall, hail and heavy rains are likel
Kerala Karshaka Jadha Opens to a Great Beginning / Video
Malappuram press club attack: RSS workers nabbed
Workers injured in mudslide at construction site
NATIONAL NEWS
Woman alleges rape by Delhi-based singer
 New Delhi, July 18 (PTI) A woman has accused a Delhi-based Punjabi singer of raping her, the police
Opposition parties commit to fight against any amendment in RTI Act
Tharoor blames right-wing activists for attacks, demands PM intervention
Two dead, 3,500 relocated as rains lash parts of Gujarat
Untitled Page
Rashtra Deepika LTD
Copyright @ 2017 , Rashtra Deepika Ltd.